DSA Non Medical Helper Allowance

The Non-Medical Helper allowance, sometimes called one-one support, helps pay for support sessions recommended in your DSA Needs Assessment.

Non-Medical Help can only be supplied if the support is:

  • needed for clearly identified study reasons
  • needed because of disability reasons
  • and not already provided by another source for example, from your university or another type of grant or award.

What is the allowance for?

Non-Medical Helpers can assist with things such as:

  • training in the use of your recommended software
  • specialist study skills support
  • Sign Language interpreting

Can I use a friends or family member?

Unfortunately, your funder cannot consider requests for non-medical help to be provided by friends or family members.

How do I make a change to my NMH

If the number of hours a student spends with a non-medical helper needs to increase the student should discuss this with their needs assessor.